1. The Victorian State Government is in the process of amending residential planning zones and at the end of the process they will be classified either:
(a) Residential Growth Zone close to transport and services and suitable for higher density living;
(b) General Residential Zone which allows modest housing growth and diversity in keeping with neighbourhood character; or
(c) Neighbourhood Residential Zone which limits housing growth and density allowing predominantly for single dwellings with a maximum building height of 8 metres.
City of Melbourne
2. Our South Yarra postcode area has been initially assessed by the City of Melbourne planners as a General Residential Zone which in a planning sense is similar to the existing requirements.
3. However, Council is seeking the opinion of and submissions from ratepayers and this has been the subject of considerable thought and discussion by members of the committee of the Melbourne South Yarra Residents Group. The committee believes significant parts of South Yarra should be a Neighbourhood Residential Zone (NRZ). The criteria specified by Government and Council for the NRZ are the following.
(a) In a heritage precinct with heritage overlays.
(b) In a stable, settled area.
(c) Large contiguous streetscapes consisting almost entirely of single dwelling lots.
4. It is the view of the committee that large parts of South Yarra satisfy all or some of these requirements and have significant heritage value and neighbourhood character that should be recognised and protected.
5. It is the view of the Committee that the streets marked on the attached plan are those that should be zoned Neighbourhood Residential and preparation of a submission to Council in those terms has been commenced.
6. However, before making any submission to Council the Committee wishes to bring these facts to the attention of all of its members so that they have the opportunity to consider and comment upon what is occurring. Further information can be obtained on the City of Melbourne website at:
7. Accordingly, if any member wishes to express a view about the conclusion currently formed by the committee or any relevant issues about what should or should not be included within the Neighbourhood Residential Zone they should communicate in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Michael Butcher on 0411 722 635 between 1.00pm and 2.00pm any day.
Urgent response needed
8. As our submission to Council must be completed by 25 April 2014 if a member wishes to express a view he or she must respond to this notice no later than 22 April 2014.
My apologies for the short time frame.
Melbourne South Yarra Residents’ Group Inc